Tuesday, December 11, 2012

EXPLODING, LIKE FIREWORKS by Pat Murphy_Review


Review of Exploding, Like Fireworks by Pat Murphy
5 stars

Reading Pat Murphy’s outstanding science fiction is always mind-expanding, the equivalent of traveling to other worlds from the comfort of my armchair. In this entry, Angel is a twenty-year-old intern on Moon Talk, an artificial colony-space station founded by a combination of poets and engineers from the U.S.’s prestigious M.I.T., and named for a Mark Twain quote. In a freakish accident, Angel finds herself paralyzed, and of course despair follows; but the inhabitants of Moon Talk are nothing if not creative, in both robotics and poetry. They refuse to accept that her physiological condition should be the end.

I so love the process in this book: from normal routine life (okay, in the future, because most of us don’t live on or visit space stations), to total unending despair, to the light at the end of the tunnel-and beyond. I think I could reread this story over and over again. Definitely I shall not easily forget or forgo its ending.

I reviewed an e-book copy from the publisher, via Goodreads Group Making Connections, in return for my fair and impartial review.

No comments:

Post a Comment