Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence

When I first started reading this book, I found its style a bit annoying, either too childish or too condescending.  I had absolutely no idea where the story was going  and had I not previously seen some live footage of the kind of situation described (through my work), this story would have been a much bigger shock and surely elicited more than a few tears.  As it is, in hindsight, it is an amazing story and I am immensely glad that I read it.  Would I recommend it?  Absolutely.  But it is not for the faint of heart, although it has nothing to do with a horror story.   It is simply beautiful and deals with several serious issues in a very matter of fact (and therefore maybe seeming childish at times) way.  It is sometimes a bit drawn out and slow,  but it will go straight to your heart if you let it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment