Monday, February 2, 2015

Amazing Rendering of True Life in the Bayou "The Marauders" by Tom Cooper (Ravenswood Review)




I have never visited Louisiana but I’ve often wanted to. Seeing the land on television and learning about it from such shows as Swamp People and True Blood, does nothing to truly show the kind of life the people of this great state live. After Katrina, there was so much devastation and a lot of people were put in the position of having to rebuild their entire lives. The BP oil spill was another devastation that caused families that relied on the waterways as their income to have to come to terms with moving into the lowest realms of poverty. 

Tom Cooper’s book not only shows an in depth picture of the lives of some of these people in a fictional manner but it also contains a storyline that is suspenseful and somewhat horrifying. I would definitely put this novel on the level with the amazing works of Stephen King and others, though I would not compare this writer directly to King, as he definitely has a syntax all his own. True life horror and suspense is some of the scariest as we realize that this could happen to anyone. These characters lives are played out in vivid reality and this is easily one of the best books I’ve ever read. I’d give it 10 Ravens/Stars if I were able, but in the land of Amazon, 5 Ravens/Stars will have to do. 

I received this book from the publisher for an honest and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment