Sunday, March 20, 2016

"Fling!" by Lily Iona MacKenzie (Ravenswood Review)


Firstly, I have to say that I am extremely glad to have won a copy of this book from Goodreads and by an even happier chance, the author, shares my grandmother's middle name! You do not meet very many 'Iona's' in the world and I have to say I believe my grandmother would be proud to know that such an amazing writer shared her name. 

MacKenzie had me in tears from laughter while reading this novel, the bonding between Feather and her mother Bubbles was wonderful, I loved her writing so much I hope I can find more books by her in in the very near future. This amazing book starts out with Feather going to visit her mother and after much deliberation, decides to take her mother Bubbles, on what could very well be her last trip abroad. They take off to Mexico in search of Bubble's mother's ashes which had been recovered after many years. Through the telling of Feather and Bubble's story, you find out so much about their life and the extended family; and what a tale they have to tell! 

My favorite part is the extremely exciting and magical return of family members that have been gone for many years and how MacKenzie was so apt at weaving it all together. I fell in love with the entire family and found myself wishing I could have shared in all their many journey's through the years. This book has a lot of mystical, magical, and spiritual quality that I feel many readers will truly enjoy. I have also, never read a story about Mexico that made the place sound so romantic! The descriptions used by MacKenzie really come alive off the page and make you want to visit in the hopes that you may be lucky enough to be deemed the great Eineeuq! 

I would definitely recommend this book especially for women that love a good contemporary fiction that leaves you with great feelings and a sense of magic no matter your age! 

I give "Fling!" a firm 5 Ravens! 



No comments:

Post a Comment