Monday, December 31, 2012

THE CURSE MERCHANT by J. P. Sloan_Review


Review of The Curse Merchant by J. P. Sloan
5 stars

I almost am at a loss for words to describe this so excellent novel. Suspension of disbelief was immediate and unconscious: accepting “our” consensus reality as one in which magic is rather widely practiced, accepted, and utilized as a personal, professional, and politicial tool, was simple. I never had to stop to think “Hey, is this real?” because it just was REAL. The evolution and revelation of character throughout this story is outstanding, not just in the case of the protagonist, but also of secondary characters, such as his ex-girlfriend and his best male friend. Every character is three-dimensional, with depths and heights of her or his own, and even those whose deeds aren’t pretty (and sometimes actually evil) are comprehensible.

I am so thankful this is the first of a series (The Dark Choir) because I really want to follow the progress of protagonist Dorian Lake, formerly practitioner of Hexes and Charms, now “Curse Merchant.”

I received an e-book copy from the author in return for my fair and impartial review.

No comments:

Post a Comment