Sunday, January 20, 2013

One-Hundred-and-One African-American Read-Aloud Stories By Susan Kantor


Author: Susan Kantor
Published By: Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers
Age Recommended: Children 9+ to Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 4

Review:

"One-Hundred-and-One African-American Read-Aloud Stories" by Susan Kantor was quite a interesting read. The firs thing I will say is that I did not feel like all of these short stories were for young children. Some I would not care to read to a child. So, what I am saying is that a adult needs to have read it and decide for yourself if you think this particular one is for your child. I found most of them most interesting. This author did a wonderful job with the colorful descriptions...Wow! OK, with that being said you will be presented with "folktales, biographies, history books: songs, poetry and chants." There are some very informative information on 'Biography, Slavery, and History" that will keep your interested in the read. I think in the end this could be a very good collection for a family at some set time. You will find many myths and fables that will entertain in its teachings. I wish there would have been some illustrations but on a whole I thought this novel was a good read that could go into your family library. However, as I said earlier beware that some of this is not for the younger children...parent please read and see for yourself if it would be for your child....mainly speaking of those younger that 9-10. Now, with that being said yes I would recommend this read to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment