Friday, January 18, 2013

"This Brilliant Darkness" by Red Tash



Publisher: Self-Published
Ages: 17 +
Rating: 3

Unlike Red Tash's other book "Troller Derby" I could not get into "This Brilliant Darkness" I did read it all the way through but I found myself constantly lost between what was happening real-time versus what was happening in the characters minds and I'm not even sure if there was a real-time versus mind-frame aspect to the story. The plot jumps from character to character which is not a bad thing but it did so, so much to the point that I constantly lost my place and was unsure of just where the story was going or what it was about.


At first I thought it was about a demon that was stalking one of the main characters and then when you get the chance to see into the demon's mind or creature's mind, it almost seems as though it's an alien of some kind. The fact that the entire story seems to revolve around this star phenomenon makes you want to lean more toward the alien idea but it's still very hard to understand.

The story has great potential and the writer shows good command of her craft but I just think the book was too diverse and jumped too much all over the place for me to get completely involved, thus my rating of 3 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the feedback, Kitty. This was my first novel and "ambitious" doesn't begin to describe it. I'm so glad you enjoyed Troll Or Derby. The sequel (Troll Or Park) will be out before I finish tackling That Crackling Silence (sequel to This Brilliant Darkness) even though TBD was written first. You're right--it is a lot to wrap one's mind around, even for me. Having said that, though, thanks for the props on my handling of the writing. Means a lot to me. Have a great weekend and thanks so much for all your support.

    RT

    ReplyDelete